APPLICATION FOR A SINGLE DISTRIBUTED GENERATION CONNECTION OF 10KW OR LESS
- Contact your retailer
- You will need an ICP (Installation Connection Point number) at the point of connection and you should notify your retailer that you are a distributed generator so they can arrange to change the meter configuration to measure imported and exported electricity.
- You also need to decide if you want to “sell” energy back to your retailer. Discuss this option with your retailer.
To find a retailer please click here
- Request a Distributed Generation Connection
Please complete our application form in full and submit it to our customer service team, email@example.com.
Once your application form has been received, from April 1, 2020, an invoice will be sent to the applicant. The $100 + GST application processing fee for all new DG applications for systems 10kW or less to recover the administration costs of processing applications.
- Connection Outcome
- We will notify you of the status of your application request within 5 working days. Please note that an incomplete form will introduce delays to the application process.
- You will either receive a 90 day conditional approval to proceed, or if any network constraint is identified, we will advise you if further network work is required to enable your DG.
- WEL Networks Installs Smart Meter
- Once connection approval is granted, WEL Networks will install a Smart Meter at the Distributed Generation site. The Smart Meter is part of WEL’s network modernisation aimed at improving customer service by improving efficiency and reliability of our network.
- Complete your Distributed Generation Install
- Your installer will need to complete the installation of your new system, including testing and inspection. They should register the electrical changes on the national Electricity and Gas High Risk Database on the Energy Safety website. They should provide you and WEL Networks copies of the Certificate of Compliance (CoC), Electrical Safety Certificate (ESC), Record of Inspection (RoI) and WEL Networks' test form.
We are pleased to see Waikato residents doing their part to look after our region by choosing to power their homes with renewable energy. This has resulted in WEL receiving an increased number of applications from customers wishing to install solar panels on their homes and businesses.
It is due to this increase that we are no longer able to absorb the cost of processing applications for Distributed Generation (solar) connections. From April 1 2020, WEL will introduce a $100 + GST application fee for all new Distributed Generation applications for systems 10kW or less, to recover the administration costs of processing applications. An invoice will be sent for this fee once your application has been received.
For multiple Distributed Generation connections (i.e. a subdivision with DG on the houses) and/or if you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org