Get Connected Q&A

What’s the difference between a networks company and a retailer?

WEL Networks distributes power from Transpower to the Waikato community. It’s our job to make sure the local network of power lines, poles, underground cables and other electrical equipment is maintained and managed, keeping the network strong and reliable.
The retailers sell you the electricity and take care of your account (you’ll get your regular power bill from them). Your bill includes charges from WEL and Transpower, plus the retailer’s charges. See a breakdown of charges.

How do I apply for electricity supply?

If you are building a new property or upgrading your existing supply you need to apply to connect to our network first. If you’re moving into an existing property you can call any of the retailers connected to the network serving the WEL Networks area.

How long should the process take?

If the application is to connect the electricity supply for a house or other straightforward installation and suitable network is available, your form will be approved within 2-4 working days. For larger projects this may take between 4-12 weeks. This allows time for the design to be completed and priced, a quote approved and any construction work finished.
Note: Timeframes may vary if an easement is required.

When is an easement needed?

If WEL needs to site equipment on private land, an easement may be needed to protect both the landowner and WEL. If WEL’s network equipment is on land which changes ownership or usage (eg becomes a subdivision), there may need to be an easement agreement.

What is an ICP number?

An Installation Control Point is a unique number that identifies a connection point. WEL assigns your ICP when a new connection is set up. If you change your retailer the account number will change but your ICP will always stay the same. If you join a new retailer they may well ask you for this number.

How do I organise metering for a new connection?

Complete an Application for Connection to WEL's network and forward to your chosen energy retailer. Your energy retailer will arrange your metering once WEL Networks approves your application.

How do I organise Current Transformer metering and test blocks for a new connection?

Complete an Application for Connection to WEL's network and forward to your energy retailer.

Who owns what?

YOU OWN that part of the service line which is located inside the boundary of your property. WE OWN that part of the service line which is located outside the boundary of your property. Where there are any unformed (or "paper") roads between the boundary of your property and the nearest public (or "formed") road maintained by the local district council, you own the service line to the point where it reaches the public road. Any transformer which we have installed on your property, and which is connected to our network, is owned by us (unless we have specifically agreed that you or someone else owns this; this is not normally the case). You must pay for any repairs or alterations to your assets (service lines): This can be done by WEL Networks or by other qualified contractors.

Can I use my own contractor to lay cables?

WEL is legally responsible for the design and construction of the network. We invest millions of dollars in creating and maintaining the very safest, most secure network, so equipment needs to be installed to the highest standard. We require installation contractors to be certified to work on our network and any equipment  is recorded correctly on our networks plans and control systems. You can arrange to lay your own service mains within your boundaries. 

How do I get my service line livened?

Your power will be live once the connection process is complete. This includes the metering installed, all WEL endorsements complied with, the service main connected and the electrical compliance completed.

How do I arrange a temporary supply for building purposes?

If you need a temporary supply while you’re building, get your electrician to apply for a ‘builder’s temporary supply.

What is an increased load to a network supply?

An increased load is an alteration to your existing installation which may require engineering work to supply the additional load.

Installation changes that are classed as an increased load to supply are:

1. An increase in the number of phases (eg single phase to three phase)
2. An increase in the required connection fuse rating (eg 60A to 100A)
3. Any additional meter and/or controlled load/relay (excluding meter replacements which are arranged by your retailer)
4. Any significant increase in load within the existing connected fuse rating


Click here to view the Network Connection Standard (Distribution Code) effective Oct 2014



This year WEL Networks is distributing $20 million into the community through the WEL Networks discount.

Make sure to check your April and May power bill to ensure you receive your credit.