WEL Networks is an innovative, infrastructure provider serving Waikato communities for 100 years. Our aim is to deliver better value and reliable services for our customers and we value our role as a trusted community member.
- Based in Hamilton, we employ approximately 240 employees across a range of expertise; from Live Line Mechanics, Faults Technicians and Technical Planners, to in-house Health & Safety professionals, Financial Accountants and Human Resources.
- Our core business is to distribute power from exit points on Transpower's national grid, connecting over 160,000 people to electricity services through around 85,000 installation connection points.
- We play an essential role in the region’s economic and social development by identifying and investing in new technologies that benefit our people, modernise our network and future-proof our region.
- We are a strategic shareholder of Ultrafast Fibre, the company responsible for one of New Zealand's largest telecommunication infrastructure builds.
- Our Smart Network project in the Waikato Region is now complete with 58,000 smart boxes installed. Information received from the smart boxes is being integrated into our asset management decision making processes.
- Each year we invest $45 million to keep our network in top condition for our customers.
- We are fully community-owned, with WEL Energy Trust our sole shareholder. Hamilton City, Waikato and Waipa District Councils, and ultimately their respective communities, are our capital beneficiaries.
- Through WEL’s annual discount programme, $273 million (including GST) has been distributed to customers since the programme’s establishment in 2003.